- Where are the repairs carried out?
- I have my own gemstones can I still get something made?
- I have just lost an earring can it be replaced?
- What makes white gold white?
- What is the difference between real, cultured and simulated Pearls?
- I am trying to sell a gold ring but getting offered nowhere near what my insurance valuation was, why is this?
- What is the difference between 9ct & 18ct?
Where are the repairs carried out?
We carry out all the jewellery repairs right here on the premises in our fully equipped workshop.
I have my own gemstones can I still get something made?
We are always happy to be given the opportunity to make jewellery utilising any of our customer’s own materials whether it be gemstones or metal. We would be glad to talk to you about your needs and then to submit designs and estimate for the work which is absolutely free.
I have just lost an earring can it be replaced?
It may be possible to copy a single earring. We can match stones and will always be happy to provide a quotation for this kind of work. Of course sometimes a customer may feel that they would rather not go down this route but may still wish to make use of the earring. Depending on the article it may well be possible for us to produce designs for a conversion to another item of jewellery such as a pendant or brooch.
What makes white gold white?
In its raw state gold is yellow but it is possible to change the colour by adding different metals during the alloying process. To produce white gold alloys metals such as zinc and palladium may be added to pure gold. The finished article is then often rhodium plated to give a bright white finish. In time the rhodium plating can wear and the slightly yellowish white gold will begin to show. Articles can be re-plated but if a bright white finish is desired we would recommend considering platinum which will always have a bright white finish and is indeed harder wearing and more durable than gold.
What is the difference between real, cultured and simulated Pearls?
Real pearls are those found naturally occurring in oysters and certain other bivalves. A piece of grit or some foreign body has entered the organism and this triggers the process of covering the alien body with microscopic layers of nacre. Real pearls are rare and prices will be dramatically higher.
Cultured pearls are those produced after an oyster has a nucleus, usually a mother of pearl bead, artificially inserted. The first cultured pearl was produced in Japan in 1905. Oysters used in this process are farmed and are suspended in large tethered cages in the sea. The majority of pearls are produced in Japan, but China is also becoming a major production centre.
Cultured freshwater pearls are produced by freshwater mussels in much larger quantities. These can be produced in many different colours and shades and provide a less expensive source of pearls.
Imitation pearls are entirely manmade. A bead is dipped into a mixture based on crushed fish scales known as "essence d’orient". This coats a bead and produces an imitation pearl. Other lower quality imitations may be made from plastic or ceramics. These are used for costume jewellery and provide an inexpensive way of imitating cultured pearls.
I am trying to sell a gold ring but getting offered nowhere near what my insurance valuation was, why is this?
The valuation for insurance details the cost to replace an item at current market rates, including VAT. If your gold ring had been well worn or showed signs of damage you may have only been offered a scrap metal price. This is simply calculated on the weight of metal which fluctuates according to the price of gold on the commodity markets. The scrap price may be the articles lowest value and its highest will be the valuation for insurance. In reality a true selling price for the article may well be somewhere in between and depend on prevailing market conditions and other factors such as condition.
What is the difference between 9ct & 18ct?
Pure gold is 24 carat and 9ct must be at least 9 parts gold in 24, equivalent to 37.5% gold and the other 62.5% other metals such as copper, silver, palladium or zinc. 18ct must be at least 18 parts gold in 24, 75% gold and 25% other metals. These ‘recipes’ can be altered to affect the hardness of 9ct and 18ct gold. Generally 18ct gold alloys are both harder and more durable than their 9ct equivalent. 9ct gold alloys are often more brittle than 18ct alloys which tend to be more resilient. 18ct gold reacts better to the mechanical processes that the alloy is subjected to such as rolling, stretching, bending, hammering, etc. These processes tend to make 9ct alloys more brittle.
We will endeavour to update this page as much as possible we useful information. If there are any questions that you may have or would like to see on this page please feel free to contact us.